Sunday, August 7, 2011
I finally have a finish to show you. I put this Spanish Tiles quilt away for awhile. I was so disappointed with my quilting, I had to take a break. If you've been reading my blog for awhile, you know I always say I don't like the actual quilting.
Let me design, pick out the fabrics and piece the whole shebang!
After that, I am wholly incompetent at any decent quilting. Sometimes I can get an OK meandering design using my Grace frame and Juki. But, just as often, I can even mess that up.
I decided to do some straight line stitch-in-the-ditch quilting on this quilt. Fine! Until I started to get major migration of the fabric. Even with the even-feed foot!
Remove 1 mile of quilting!
Then I tried a built-in serpentine stitch. Same problem.
Remove 2 miles of stitching.
Oh, I don't mind removing quilting, but this was ridiculous! I removed enough thread to wind up on a whole "nother spool. Over and over again!!
Finally, I decided to do free motion stitch-in-the-ditch, in the black, with black thread, where it wouldn't show. That worked OK. And besides, I can't see much on the back either.
I followed up with straight line quilting, but not stitch-in-the-ditch,..........a good half inch away from the seam. That worked.
I did make a little change to this pattern. I added the little triangles to the corner of each block and I made the outside sections of each block the same. I think I will write a variation for this pattern as I kind of like this look.
I love this little birdie print.
The quilt is done and I am OK with it.
I've been busy with another design, but, people near and dear to me say it looks like a swastika!
So I guess I need to change something.
Hah, did you think I was going to show it to you, before it was finished!!!
Posted by Mary at 10:14 PM